Jun 8, 2008

Rainbow Trout - Potato Pancakes - Summer Feta Salad

Quick, and easy summer Sunday dinner. For fish, sometimes I use regular flour, sometimes cornmeal; I guess in the moment it depends on which one is closer.

Rainbow trout

If I do cornmeal, I use:
1 cup cornmeal
1 Tsp paprika
1 Tsp black pepper

Cut, and salt the fish to taste. Coat in cornmeal mixture, and fry on medium heat for few minutes on each side, or until desired doneness. Transfer onto paper towel, and sprinkle with lemon juice.
Italian style potato pancakes
(adapted from Gemma’ homestyle Italian cooking, November 2002 issue)

3 medium/large potatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1egg, slightly beaten
Salt to taste
1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
A handful of parsley, finely chopped up
½ cup canola oil for frying

Cook potatoes, and mash them, Add the egg, corn, and some salt, and mix well.
Add parsley to breadcrumbs (optional, but I like it). Now, spoon out some mixture into the crumbs, and coat well, take it with your hands, and fry few at a time, over medium heat.
Flatten them, as they fry, but let fry 2 minutes before turning, and turn very carefully, to retain the shape. Fry 2 minutes on other side, and as they are done, transfer onto baking sheet, into the oven (200F) to keep warm, until they are all done.

Summer Feta Salad

Tomatoes
Bell peppers
Onions
Cucumbers ( I didn’t have any, works fine without them)
Feta cheese, crumbled
Some salt, and black pepper
Oil, and vinegar

Cut up the veggies into small cubes, about equal amount of each, salt to taste. Sprinkle with black pepper, oil, and vinegar, all to taste. Top with crumbled feta cheese. No kissing after this, but Yum!!!!!!

12 comments:

Marija said...

Those are amazing photos! I see you mastered the new camera :)

Melita said...

Thank you Marija!
I am not happy yet, I actually thought these were bad, but had no time to shoot, we had terrible weather, even tornadoes close by right after I took these shots... Hate MI weather!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my...wish I was there is all I can say! These are just beautiful, colorful photos...makes me want to eat!

Anonymous said...

I think that fresh caught trout is the best tasting fish on the planet (although I hate the bones).

When I have the time to visit my beloved Arkansas, we can eat fresh White River trout (under two hours - river to table) . . . and it don't get no better than that. LOL

Great post, by the way.

Melita said...

d0cchuck - yes, trout is awesome!We are close to many waters here in MI, and we used to go fishing quite often in the summer, no time now...
My all time favorite fish is walleye! LOVE IT!!!
Thanks for stopping by! :)

Anonymous said...

We buy trout all the time from Costco. I fry it the way you do:) With regular flour. Yum! Your pictures are great!

Melita said...

Farida- I got it from Costco this time too :)
I was a Sam's club member for long, long time (they don't have it), just recently changed to Costco!
Thanks, I have been trying with these pictures, but I am still not happy... takes time to get a grip on this camera... time, which I don't have most of the TIME! :))))

Shelby said...

Medena, this looks so delicious! I only wish my photos turned out so well!

RecipeGirl said...

I'll have to give Rainbow Trout a try. Have you ever used feta and watermelon together for a summer salad? YUMM!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

That looks delicious! I don't think I've ever had rainbow trout before, but this looks like a tasty treatment. Also, great photos

Anonymous said...

It look's to good to be through I am definitely going to try this

Anonymous said...

That Summer salad uses so many tasty ingredients. The photo really captures the deliciousness of all three recipes :). We would love to feature your salad recipe on our blog and the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested. Thanks :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS