Apr 8, 2008

Baron Trenk Cutlets

Barun trenk 6
May not be the real deal, but the concept is great, and so is the taste!

I love meals like this, and most of you already know that : )
Just look at my other food photos, right? It just has to have that artistic touch, must be interesting, and of course, taste great! I can’t get the right salami for this cutlet here, the recipe calls for Slavonian kulen, so I hope I am not offending the Croatian traditional dish by substituting it with country ham slices. I wish I didn’t have to. I have other meats in mind for next time. For those interested more in who this Baron was, you can get that info here. Interesting, he is considered to be the father of military music…

Baron Trenk Cutlets

For 4 cutlets you’ll need:

4 pork cutlets (beat them until thin)
1 hard boiled egg, cut into quarters
4 Tbsp of Ajvar (Red pepper spread, I make my own)
8 slices of Slavonian kulen, or something like that
Salt to taste
2-3 Garlic cloves
Some oil for frying
1 hot pepper (optional)
½ lb mushrooms
1 Tsp of Vegeta seasoning
2 Tbsp of sour cream
1 Tsp of corn starch
Some parsley
Some vine if you like at the end

On each cutlet spread a Tbsp of Ajvar, put 2 slices of Slavonian kulen (or what I did, I put the slice of country ham), and a quarter of egg. Roll it up, secure with a toothpick. Season with salt a bit, and fry, turning often to ensure they’re cooked evenly. Add diced hot pepper, and continue to fry adding some water occasionally, until done.

Take the cutlets out on a plate, and in the same pan stir in minced garlic, add Vegeta seasoning, mushrooms, and if necessary more water. Now put the cutlets back in the pan, and stir for a minute or so all together. You can now add some vine, if you like, and then combine it all with sour cream mixed with corn starch. Garnish with parsley - if you like. Serve with mashed potatoes (traditionally served with them), or rice. It is delicious! Enjoy!

Barun trenk 2Barun trenk 3Barun trenk 4

8 comments:

Marija said...

Medena, it looks fantastic! I can't believe I've never heard of this dish. I'm so ashamed.

I also make my own Ajvar, actually the whole family, we look like a little factory then. :)

Melita said...

:)))) You made me smile; it's so true, my house becomes a little factory when making ajvar too! Can't wait to do it again this year!

This dish is new to me too. It is Slavonian, and I am sure they have more prized dishes like these, we just got to find them... :)

test it comm said...

Those look so good and tasty!!

Anonymous said...

Great picture, Medena. In Italy this dish is called "involtini" but the news is the use of pork meat. It seems easy and quick to prepare. Thank you for the idea for tomorrow dinner.
Paola

Shelby said...

This is a really interesting dish and it looks delicious! Thanks for the link to the story of the Baron! Interesting!

taste memory said...

the dish looks delicious and hearty...I love when traditional recipes combine hard boiled eggs with meat. there is a Korean dish like that cooked with a rich marinade base with flank steak and whole garlic cloves. then the hard boiled eggs are shelled and put into the base at the end.

The baron cutlets look quite addicting....!

I have been in the same boat as far as enjoying the sunshine....I just want to run outside and play all day!

Anonymous said...

Hello, i found your receipt http://samoevkusnoe.ru/?p=2965 here, unfortunately there where no links on your site,i want to say- thanks for the receipt it is very tasty!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Medena. This verison looks incredible. Will be preparing.
-Baron Ambrosia

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS