May 29, 2008

Any time is...

Call it an entrée, a side dish, a salad! Whatever! Just don’t touch my plate, make your own! : )
You can try new things, like the new things, change your taste, and preferences, but when it comes to food, one is for sure, you never let go of your childhood favorites. This was another one of mine…


I was a picky eater, NO, scratch that! I was a pain in a you know what!!! I was not only picky, but I barely ate. Well, you can’t blame me, I had too much work building a school for chicken, trying to raise few dozen bunnies, and saving, and bringing home any animal that needed to (or not) be helped.

Chicken Elementary School was closed soon after my mother realized that in order to keep the chicken in the classroom, the corn was being used up very fast… : )

…anyway, back to pasta. I simply love this dish, and even as picky as I was, I was sure to clean up my plate. The onions and paprika give this pasta/potato dish a really nice flavor, and beautiful color too.

There is a dish almost identical to this one called “Granadir marsh”, only the pasta part is sort of like gnocchi, and it is widely popular in the Balkans, so I guess what was done in part where I grew up, someone simplified it. In any case, flavorful, colorful, and my favorite!

Simple potato pasta dish
1 lb pasta (like mostaccioli, rigatoni, rotini, elbows, penne, you get the idea)
1 lb potatoes, peeled, cut up
2 medium onions
3-4 Tbs of oil, or enough to caramelize the onions
2 Tbsp of paprika seasoning
Salt to taste
Parsley to garnish

Cook pasta according to directions. Drain, and set aside.
Boil potatoes, and mash them (just potatoes, no butter or anything).
Salt pasta and potatoes, and combine them now into one bowl.
Chop, and then caramelize the onions, add paprika, and then pasta/potato mixture.
Mix gently, but thoroughly. Best served immediately - garnish with parsley, and enjoy!
I usually serve it with chicken strips, but it works alone for me too. Feel free to add some other seasonings as well.
For end result, refer to top :)

11 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

I'll have to try some potatoes in my pasta sometime! I was just thinking today that I haven't made a nice pasta dish for dinner in a long time.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting recipe! Never thought of combining mashed potato with pasta. Paprika and onion on top! Yumm!!!! I should make this one for my pasta-loving daughter. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a nice idea, to combine potatoes with pasta. Have to try it some pretty day :)

Marija said...

Never had pasta and potatoes before. But this sounds so tasty! Real comfort food. Bookmarking and definitely making it soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you know I'm going to try this one!!! Talk about card-loading for my little swimmer. So, when my son breaks a record at his next meet I'll send you a big thank you. Thank you for sharing one of your favorite childhood's treats.

xoxox Amy

Anonymous said...

Yum! That looks amazing. My favorite kind of pasta shape is rigatoni so that looks great.

Shelby said...

Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Huh. I'd thought I'd tried every potato everything...this is a new one that sounds great.

Melita said...

Thank you all for stopping by, and taking time to comment! :)

Carrie said...

Hmmm, that sounds so interesting! I will definately have to try that...it looks delicious :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Medena, you are right in saying this dish takes acre of those who fuss over eating otherwise. The pic looks so colorful and appetizing. Enjoyed reading the post.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS