May 9, 2008

Citrus Love!


This month Tartlette is hosting Sugar High Friday #43, which is a monthly event created by Jennifer of The Domestic Goddess.Tartlette chose citrus theme, which is sure to produce yummy posts!!!

Just like Tartelette has mentioned, citrus, after chocolate, is her favorite flavor---well, I am sure it is for many people. I find myself always squeezing that lemon/orange juice over my cakes, regardless the recipe. It adds magic!

I chose this roll because it is my favorite roll/cake when it comes to taste (thanks to orange juice), and I love that it is simple to make. The first delicacy I thought of when thought about participating for this event was this roll, because of the aroma that orange gives it, with chocolate butter cream, it’s a winner!

You can dress it up many different ways, use it for other cake creations, and so on. I make it often; my husband loves it, his mom used to make it a lot (what a way to score points with my hubby, ha? Hahaha!)

Orange Infused Chocolate Buttercream Roll

For the jelly roll:
(this recipe can also be found here)
6 eggs
6 Tbsp of AP flour
6 Tbsp of sugar
½ Tsp of baking powder

Mix the egg whites with sugar until stiff, then add the yolks, one by one, then flour mixed with baking power. Bake in a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper, @ 385 F until lightly golden (not too long). Transfer onto damp kitchen towel, along with the parchment paper, and roll it up.

Chocolate butter cream:
(I use this one in many cakes, love it! Like Dobos Torte)
4 eggs
5 oz granulated sugar
3 ½ oz bakers chocolate
1 ½ stick (12 Tbsp) unsalted butter

Mix eggs and sugar until frothy, then cook in a double boiler , stirring constantly until it starts to thicken. Then add chocolate, and mix it in. Transfer to a mixing bowl, and let it cool down, later put it in the fridge. When completely add butter cut up into pieces, and mix well with a mixer, until you get a silky textured butter cream.

Unroll the roll, sprinkle generously with freshly squeezed juice of 2-3 oranges, or about 1 cup or orange juice. In the event you don’t have oranges, you can use orange flavored juice box. Roll it up, and decorate any way you like, and enjoy!

To contribute a little more, I have also made some fruit made out of almond meal/flour.
It is so easy, seriously. You feel like a kid while you are making them, and it’s so much fun!!!


Fast too, so if you want to ad flare to your creations quickly, here is your solution, and you can make all kinds of fruit. I have learned a technique from a lovely cook from Canada, goes by name Cipelica, and she post on a Croatian cooking website (Coolinarika).

Fruit

125 g (4.41 oz)almond flour/meal
125 sugar (4.41 oz)
50 ml (1.69 fl. oz.) water (Updated, not 100ml, it's 50ml)
½ Tsp of margarine
Food colors (yellow, red, green)
(this is how much I have used this time, you can increase accordingly, if you need more)


Boil water and sugar, then add almond flour, and mix well. Add margarine, and let it cool down. Divide into parts, and color each part any color you want by adding drops of food colors slowly.

Play with it, every time you will get better.
For citrus fruit, I have shaped it, and then poked the fruit with a toothpick to create more authentic look.
For more citrus cravings you might like Torta della Nonna!

20 comments:

May said...

Hi Medena. Great blog with great recipes :) I've been reading for a while and I really enjoy your blog.

The orange and chocolate cake looks and sounds really delicious!
I love citrus too, a lot.

RecipeGirl said...

I've not done a cake roll yet. I always think they look so pretty!

You made those fruit creations?? How great! I'm so impressed. I definitely will be bookmarking this creative idea :)

Anonymous said...

So beautiful..I love making rolls,this one sounds delicious..And the fruits:) Thank you..
Monique

chriesi said...

Those fruits you made are so cute!

Thip said...

I've never use cooked mazipan, the texture might be different from uncooked marzipan. Your little fruits look so real. :)

Gretchen Noelle said...

Tasty sounding recipe and absolutely adorable little fruits!!

Anonymous said...

These are simply beautiful.

test it comm said...

Nice looking roll cake! Great job on the citrus fruit!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh la la! I'm on a citrus kick right now & this post really speaks to the spirit of my soul at this moment. In fact, I'm about to bake a lemon-coconut cake (just procrastinating!). Your little fruits would be the perfect decoration - do I dare try to duplicate them?!?!

xoxox Amy

Brilynn said...

Those little fruit are adorable!

Melita said...

M - Thank you so much, I am so glad you like my blog!

Recipe Girl - you should try the cake roll; you get that scrumptious taste of a rich torte without that much hassle! : )

Monique - It’s so nice to see you back! Thank you!

Chriesi - you must try, they are made of almonds!!! Thank you for stopping by! : )

Thip - Thank you! You know, you would be surprised that it didn’t take all that much time, or effort for that matter! I really encourage everyone to try making these. They’re yummy too, just almonds, sugar, and water --- just ask my son! : )

Gretchen - Thank you for a lovely comment!

noble pig - : ) Easy to make, so you better try, I am telling you, you can do it!

Kevin - Hi Kevin! Nice of you to drop by! Thank you for a lovely comment!

Amy - you will be surprised how easy, and also fun it is!!! Really, try it; do it with kids, they’ll love it!!!

Brilynn - Thank you Brilynn for lovely comment, and for stopping by again!

Thank you all again, and to all the ladies, Happy Mother’s Day!!!

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

Oh I can't wait to make these!

Marija said...

Hi Medena!
Great job on those fruits! And here is that roll again! I made that recipe before and it's the best roll ever! I definitely have to make it soon :)

Unknown said...

Thank you Medena for your entry! I love the cake and I love the fruits! Wonderful!

Johanna GGG said...

wow that fruit looks great - thanks for dropping by my blog - I thought the fruit looked unnaturally colourful in your photo and was amused to see how you made it - now am all enthused to have a go at this almond paste

Anonymous said...

Hi again!

I am making this very cake of yours this weekend! What size jelly roll pan?
Ut has such little flour etc..Would you mind telling me?

Do you think it is as good made the night before?

Thank you!!

Monique

Melita said...

Monique,

So sorry I got to you late, but if you still want to make it:
- Large jelly roll pan
- I have no idea why only so little flour, but don't worry, it is a great recipe :)
- it is best if you make this night before, you will let the orange aroma do its magic :)

Good luck, and thanks for stopping by!:)

Anonymous said...

It was a total success:) A keeper for certain..Thank you so much..My friends left w/ a few pieces also..Not only good..but so pretty..Merçi!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful

Melita said...

Thank you "long name"! :)))

Anonymous -you are welcome, I am so happy it was a success!!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS