May 7, 2008

Apple Pudding Cake


This cake is rather simple. I know, I know, I always say that! But it is, really! You don’t even need a recipe, just use your favorite yellowcake/sponge cake recipe. Then you cook apples ( like 3 medium/large ) in 2 cups of water, and you thicken it all with corn starch, sugar, food color if you like, and maybe even some strawberry extract. Usually, I just buy one bag Dr. Oetker strawberry pudding powder, and it’s all in there, except sugar. I use 5 Tbsp. I’m just saying---it is easy!

My friends, and I have made this one a lot in refugee camp over a decade ago, and it brings back some good memories. Yes, good memories! : ) Memories of friendship, and fun, because it was our teenage years, and sharing one stove between 7 families was not stopping us from having our cake, and eating it too!!! Minus the whipped cream : )

Ok, if you want to try, this time I have used a recipe for the yellow cake from one of my cook books, and instead of just store bought pudding (starch), I have used starch and so on...

It is approved by my six year old to be yummy, and pretty too :)

For the Yellow Cake
(adapted from The Ultimate Book of Baking, Martha Day)


½ cup butter
¾ cup sugar
Mix it until nice and fluffy, then add 2eggs,and mix well.
Fold in previously mixed:

1 cup flour
1Tsp baking powder
1/8 Tsp of salt
Grease the spring form pan, and spoon the batter in. Bake @350 F until just right : )



Apple Pudding:

Cook apples (3 medium/large, peeled, cored, and cut up into cubes) in a 1 ¾ cups water. Mix ¼ cup water with 3 Tbsp of starch, 5 Tbsp of sugar (or more if you like it really sweet, I like it just refreshing), couple of drops of red food color, and about 1/4 Tsp strawberry or raspberry extract. Mix it in boiling apples, after they have cooked for like 10 min.
With that done, sprinkle your cake with some milk, to make it more moist, pour the apple pudding over, and cool it down completely.
Serve with whipped cream please! :)


7 comments:

RecipeGirl said...

That is definitely pretty!

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

I love this...so Spring-like.

Melita said...

Thank you ladies :)

Anonymous said...

This looks so pretty! And you are right, not that difficult to make, at least from what I read in the recipe. I should try it sometime. Is there anything you can't make, Medena?:))

Anonymous said...

Anything pink is a hit with my daughter & anything apple is a success with my son & husband - this looks like the perfect combination of both! Thank you, dear, for posting such a pretty & tasty dessert.

xoxox Amy

Mmmhhhh kolaci said...

I made this one several times this summer and everyone loved it. Very simple, yet soooo delicious!

Melita said...

Glad you like it! ;)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS